Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Unwelcome visitors

I got a call from Bill on Thursday saying that when he got down to the ‘Barn’ that morning there was a cow and her calf in the yard. They had walked all over leaving lots of tracks in the mud (as well as cow pies) but had only broken one thing so far. He was going to call around to the farmers nearby to see who she might belong to.



So, on Friday when I got down there he had found out that they were indeed one of the neighbors and not only had this cow and calf gotten out but 37 total cows had gotten out. Guess where they all ended up? In our Campground! I drove the mule back to check out the damage and make sure we didn’t still have cows and it’s a mess. (Sorry no pictures, I was too busy trying to right everything) They had knocked over every statue we had except two. I was afraid they had broken one but on closer inspection they hadn’t – thankfully. They trampled everything leaving a muddy mess for us.

We had straw stored in the lean to from Samhain that we use in the spring to cover wet patches for Beltane. They not only ate some of it (I didn’t think cows would eat straw – just hay) they managed to spread it all over the place breaking every bale we had. So now we will have to purchase new straw next year – unless the farmer is willing to replace it.

Well, I guess it could have been worse but we are planning on having Imbolc this weekend in the campground – Bill will have to shovel up the cow pies (in the fire pit!) and try to spread some of that straw around a bit over the churned up mess the cows left before we can use it.

In other news, we have STAIRS! Woot! I have wanted him to get the stairs done for quite some time and now we finally have them. He even ran electric upstairs for me so that I can possibly work from up there on Friday or Mondays. I’m so excited!





He also has been bringing more and more of this shop equipment down to the new shop – this piece was especially heavy – and he thought just the top would be heavy – the bottom half was worse but he did it all by himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment