Thursday, August 2, 2012

I joined a gym

Ok, my weight loss has stalled out this summer.  I’ve been gaining and loosing the same 2 pounds for a couple of months now – it was time to change something.  At least I have not got UP this summer but I’ve not gone DOWN either.  So… I joined a gym on Monday.

My original thought was so that I would have access to a pool to swim laps.  Part of the problem with my lack of results I think is the fact that I had quit going to the pool regularly to swim laps.  But I got tired of fighting with all the local high schools for lap lane time.  You see the place I used to go has an Olympic sized pool (they built it for the 2000 Olympic trials) so all the area schools use it for their swim and dive teams – practices and meets.  That doesn’t leave but two lap lanes for those of us that want to swim after work.  There are supposed to be two lanes – but between the swim team and the water aerobics class – some times there is only one lane and 6 people trying to use it!

So – I searched the area for a different option.  I came up with a membership at Gold Gym.  The great thing about this is I can use ANY Gold Gym anywhere – so I can hit the one that is on my way home from work on Tuesday and Thursday and go to the one by my house on Monday and Wednesday.  

I met with a personal trainer last night (free consultation) and he took measurements, weight, height, health history – etc and then took me through a workout to show me how to use some of the equipment.  My legs are certainly telling me about it today!

Well, I should back up and say that Tuesday night I went swimming.  I usually was swimming an hour (yes, non-stop) before my summer hiatus so I was planning on going for 45 minutes.  30 minutes into my swim my right calf and foot decided to cramp.  I tried to continue on swimming – sometimes that will work it out – no good.  I tried walking it out and stretching it while still in the water – no good.  I ended up standing in the hot tub for 5 minutes while both muscles finally decided to release!  AGH!  So, now my right calf muscle is tight and yelling at me and my thighs are yelling at me.  I tell you that’s a lot of yelling!

I got home from my workout last night, showered, ate dinner, (thanks Tom, Aubri and Erik for cooking) and then settled into the living room with the kids to watch to Olympics… I could barely keep my eyes open!  I was pooped!  The little workout I did didn’t seem so strenuous at the time but apparently it was – I was in bed by 9:00!

So tonight, I’m going over to a friends house for some yoga (been doing this for several weeks already) and will see about stretching out some of these sore muscles and hopefully my next weigh in at Weight Watchers will show some positive results!

(Oh, I DID lose 3 pounds on Tuesday nights weigh in – so I’m now at my lowest weight since joining WW – 69.8 pounds down!  Woo Hoo!)

2 comments:

  1. Yay, jilly-bear! Tip for sore muscles: Take your pain reliever Before you exercise. It stops you from ever getting sore.

    ReplyDelete