Monday, August 27, 2012

Aventures in Canning

A few weeks ago the kids had been after me to make apple butter for at least a month so I broke down and bought apples at the store - two bags. I peeled them and put them in the crock pot but alas this is a new crock pot from the one I used last year and it runs a bit hotter. So the first batch got burnt and had to be tossed out.

So, last week I bought two more bags and peeled them:

Apple peeler

and placed them in the crock pot:

Apples cooking

I only cooked them until they were soft enough to spice and whir in the blender so that I could can them. Water bath caning is pretty easy. (Sorry forgot to take pictures of that part but I know I posted some last year.)

So over the weekend I bought green beans at the farmer's market in Fredericktown. We had been gifted a pressure canner a few months back but had not tested it yet. So that is what we did on Saturday at Bill's house. One thing we learned - an electric stove isn't worth much with a pressure canner! But the canner didn't blow up so I brought everything home and started working on it today:

Green Beans from the Farmer's Market

Green beans in the canner

First batch!

I had to reprocess one jar out of the first batch because it didn't seal.

Finished both batches of Green Beans

So I got 11 pints of green beans put up now. If you noticed that I used some of the tattler lids on part of them. I had also used them on the apple butter. So far they seem to work really well. The test will be when I re-use them - they are supposed to seal as well the 11 billionth time as the first!

2 comments:

  1. You tempt me, jilly-bear, with your tales of apple butter and green beans in jars.... Maybe if I get a good Egg Money, um, nest egg I will buy the required paraphernalia and test out my fear of dying in an explosion or botulism. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Since this was a used canner we tested it out first without jars just in case. Since it didn't blow up, I downloaded the manual online and bravely forged ahead on my own! (Sounds good anyway!)

    I'm actually feeling pretty good about having canned green beans this winter instead of having to buy them all from the grocery. I've been doing the apple butter for several years now in the fall but this year we may do two batches (It's gotten quite popular with my family and friends!)

    Go for it - I'll cheer you on from the sidelines! :)

    ReplyDelete