Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Book review

One of the series that I regularly read has a new installment.  It’s a prequel.  It’s only available on eBooks.  My son bought it on his Nook so I read it over the weekend.  I read the authors comments at the beginning about why he decided not to publish the book in hardback and why it will NEVER be published in hardback because he chose to self publish it as an eBook.  I’m all for authors having the rights to their own material and I understand the reasoning behind it BUT.  What about all of his fans that won’t be able to read this book now?  What about those that do not have an ereader and cant go borrow it from the library? What about fans who collect his books?  I refuse to purchase this book – EVER unless it comes out in hardback which he has stated it NEVER will so I guess I won’t have one volume in this series – that sucks!

As I was reading the book I noticed that the lack of an editor and a publisher has left this book less polished than his others.  It’s not as good as it could have been.  The story is good but he spends too much time repeating himself - a lot – those mistakes would have been edited out I’m sure – and that is why he didn’t let a publisher have it.  Really?  I find that kind of arrogance astonishing – but then I’m not surprised by this author – he seems to be that type based on interviews I’ve read and posts he has made on his website.  It’s almost enough to make me NEVER buy another of his books – but then I may not get that chance anyway if he decides to self publish the rest of them!

I don’t think this guy is popular enough to make the kind of impression on the publishing world that he thinks he is going to make.  I don’t think he’s going to make as much money on this book as he seems to think he’s going to make.  I wish him well but I also home he wakes up and smells the ink! 


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting observations, jilly-bear! It does show the value of an editor, doesn't it? So often we think of them as only pointing out punctuation errors, but they help an author organize his thoughts, point out errors in the flow, etc. Maybe someone should point these very things out to this author so that he is saved from himself.

    ReplyDelete