Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Are we still in Kansas Toto?

I was rudely awoken early this morning about 2:00AM to the sound of fierce wind (what DOES a freight train sound like at 2am?), thunder and rain hitting the bedroom window so hard I thought we were having a tornado!  I checked the weather and sure enough we were under a watch so I got up and just then the power flickered – not enough to make the clocks blink but enough to make the fire alarm chirp.  I stumbled downstairs to check if Austen was awake – he usually is that time of night.  I think I woke him.  Meghan came out of Erik’s room asking what was wrong.  I told her we were under a tornado watch to keep an ear open – then I went back to bed.

No, I really didn’t sleep much – off and on even after the storm passed.  Being woke up in the middle of the night to the point that I get up out of bed does not do well for going back to sleep on my part.  Surprisingly I’m not too tired this morning (watch, now I’ll be sleeping at my computer this afternoon).  Aubri slept though the entire thing!  I think you could set off an A-bomb in her bedroom and she would not wake.

Got up this morning to the sun shining, wet grass, some leaf buds all over the driveway from the maple next to it but no damage that I saw so far.  I really do need to walk around the back of the house and check the siding – that is the west side and that is were the wind comes from.  We have had a few spots were the siding likes to come loose before so I need to check those tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. What an unpleasant excitement in the middle of the night! I'm glad you and your family were safe.

    ReplyDelete