Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What’s cookin?

For those of you new to this blog (and those joining me here from LJ), this is a regular feature of my blog now.  Usually on Monday or Tuesday I post what the menu is for dinner that week.  This helps me plan ahead which saves money, helps me stay on program (weight watchers), and helps me remember what I planned! 

At my work we have a service from the Bellville Farmer’s Market every week called Fruit my Cube.  We get a box of fruit – usually about 18 pieces – delivered to our office on Tuesdays.  Recently they have started doing a veggie cube as well.  So while the fruit usually stays on my desk all week for me to snack on at work, the veggie cube goes home and gets incorporated into meals that week.

This week we have 8 ears of corn and 6 tomatoes – all home grown right there within sight of the St. Louis Arch!  The corn is great but this is like the 4rth or 5th week of corn every week and they keep sending us more each week!  I can only fix so many corn recipes.  So if you have a great recipe that you would like to share – please do!  Otherwise, I’m going to have to start cutting it off the cob and freezing it until this winter when I don’t have fresh corn and want some.  BTW, did you know that when you cut corn off the cob with a dull knife it goes everywhere?  I found this out last week.  J


Tuesday:     we had breakfast for dinner.  A friend of mine here at work traded me eggs for blackberries.  I was expecting a dozen – I got 2!  Bill had already given me a dozen this past weekend as he wanted farm fresh eggs as well.  So we had bacon and eggs and English muffins with juice and milk – the kids said I was the best mom!  ;)
Wednesday:  Smothered Steaks – this is a favorite recipe of a friend of mine who recently moved to Colorado.  I am going to mix up my Salisbury steak recipe for the steak part and then follow hers from there.  Mushrooms, onions, stewed tomatoes (I’ll be using fresh) and cream of mushroom soup – yummy!
Thursday:     Tuna casserole – my kids favorite
Friday:          Hamburger Mac Skillet – basically what ever veggies you have on hand, stir into some browned hamburger and add pasta – I still have some veggies left from last weeks foray into my friend Cheri’s garden – I’m going to use those.
Saturday:      Stir fry – sounds a lot like Friday’s meal but this will be at Bill’s house and we will use up the rest of those veggies with chicken over rice.
Sunday:         Grilled Salmon with grilled corn on the cob and assorted veggies
Monday:       I haven’t really gotten this far yet – probably leftovers.  This will be the last night we are home before we leave for SC but Bill will be at the house all week to watch the critters so he will need leftovers too… I’ll have to think on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment