Thursday, July 28, 2011

The sweetness of fruit

Have you ever noticed that fruit seems to be sweeter at the bottom?  I’ve been eating a lot of fruit lately and I’ve noticed this is not only peaches but plums, oranges and pears.  Apples seem to be sweet all over and so do bananas but softer fruit isn’t.  It’s like all the sugar in the fruit has run to the bottom!

My fruit cube has had quite the variety of fruits in it the past few weeks – a welcome change from the winter where it was mostly apples and oranges with 2 bananas every week.  Now we have fewer apples and oranges + plums, cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots and of course the 2 bananas.  I really am not a plum fan I’ve discovered.  I’ll eat them but lately they have been too sour.  I eat the bottom half and throw away the rest because the only part that’s sweet is the bottom.  And I don’t like the skin – it is too thick and tart.  I have learned to eat the fuzzy skin of the peaches and apricots though – I used to peal them.  Well, I used to peal just about everything but lately I’ve been eating that too!

At home Erik and I have been going through a watermelon about every other day!  They are in season and we both LOVE watermelon.  Last weekend Bill and I found a vendor that had Black Diamond watermelons from SE Missouri – yummy!  If you’ve ever eaten one of these, you won’t want the striped ones.  Black Diamonds are solid dark green and very red inside.  The red seems to go deeper into the rind that other melons and so you get more to eat.  And Sweet!  Oh MY!

Bill used to ‘pitch melons’ back in the day and every once in a while they would ‘drop’ one and it would bust open.  They would eat the heart out.  What a great treat when working out in the hot sun – a cool melon!  And so full of juice – I have to eat it outside or over the sink!

Ah summer.  It’s hot outside but cool and sweet in fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment